Saturday 20 August 2016

A testing ride...

Get the basics right.  It's a good mantra and, generally speaking, if you manage to get the basics right then the rest will follow.  Thats why I loaded up the bike and took her for a test ride.  It wasn't just enjoyable but also useful.  I discovered that the bike handles extremely well under load, better then when she's unloaded.  The rear grip off-road is hugely improved and the front remains planted.  Taking her up to motorway causing speeds she remained stable and settled.  I only discovered 4 small issues.  Firstly, if laid from stem to stern then my bag digs into my back.  It now sits across the bike.  Second, braking distance has increased and the front dives a bit more than normal so I have to start braking earlier.  Thirdly, when standing up off-road the tank bag gets in the way.  I can push it back with my knees but it's a bit annoying and I'll just have to get used to it.  Finally, the side stand is too long.  When the bike is carrying extra weight the rear suspension is compressed more than normal and the ground clearance is affected.  This means the side stand keeps the bike in a more upright position.  When I stopped and put the stand down the ground was not perfectly flat and the bike fell over throwing me into the rocks by the track much to my friend amusement.  It means that I have to either park the bike on a slope or use the centre stand all the time.  In my mind that is a major fail in the design of an adventure bike.  Well done Triumph!


[EDIT] Side stand problem solved:  http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,19228.0.html

No comments:

Post a Comment