Sunday 28 August 2016

It’s the final count down. Ohhh oh oh ohhhh…

I know, I can’t sing.  But it’s not about that, it’s about the fact that I am days away from setting off on my ride from Amman, Jordan, to the UK.  To say I’m in a state of nervous anticipation would be about right.  I also know that I’m going to really miss my children and, of course, my wife.  So much so that I’ve put measures in place to mitigate it.  I’ve stuck pictures of them (and our dog) inside a pannier lid and spent a few evenings recording myself reading a selection of stories that my 2 year old son can listen to while I’m away.  I think that “War and Peace” and Stephen Kings “The Shining” will keep him engaged for a while and have the added bonus of keeping my wife busy trying get him to sleep once she’s explained what The Shining is all about.  She’s so lucky to have such a thoughtful husband.

With all due considerations towards family covered my next biggest concern is the first day of the ride as that involves getting across the Jordan / Israel boarder.  In theory everything should be reasonably straight forward as all my paperwork is in order and I have proof of onward passage etc.  However, the reality is guaranteed to involve minor annoyance, frustration, mild anger, despair, acceptance and passive smoking whilst drinking cup after cup of unpalatable tea and coffee, if I'm lucky.  I can’t wait.    

Looking from Jordan over the Dead Sea towards Bethlehem.

No comments:

Post a Comment