Wednesday 28 September 2016

A Korean man in Liechtenstein.

Today started with a rude awakening.  I was dreaming of fluffy motorbikes and bunnies with loud exhausts when a huge explosion forced me back to reality at 0459hrs.  I know it was exactly 0459hrs because I thought it was a attack and checked the time.  The first “round” was followed 4 minutes later by another and after a further 3 minutes a third.  I lay in bed wondering what the hell was happening.  There was no movement in the house and, knowing that the sound must have woken everybody, I relaxed very slightly.  I listened for a while and the explosions weren’t followed up by the sounds of emergency response in fact just the opposite.  I could hear music in the distance, as I strained to hear it I fell asleep.
At breakfast I asked Theo what it was all about and it turns out that in Bavaria when your daughter gets married you can get out a vintage blunderbuss and fire three shots to let everyone know that there’s going to be a wedding.  Why it has to be done at 5am is anyone’s guess.
This morning I had to say good bye to the Freys who have become amazing friends.  While I stayed with them I was treated as one of the family and everything felt natural and easy.  I really can’t wait to return to Bavaria and see them again, maybe in the skiing season next time.
As I rode away waving good bye I was hit by the crisp, cold Alpine air.  It was wonderfully fresh and quickly numbed my chin through my open visor.  I didn’t mind one bit, it was refreshing and it felt good to be reminded of what cold feels like again.
I set a course for Liechtenstein and it looked like I would be there in time for lunch.  Perfect.  On my way I knew that the road was going to be passing a large lake and I looked forward to seeing the view from the road.  This never happened, riding in Switzerland is the same as I imagen riding in a crazy Alice in Wonderland style rabbit warren to be.  You simply go from one tunnel to another with a brief glimpse of daylight in between.  Inside the tunnels there are any number of junctions lit up and ready to catch you out.  Given that the GPS stops working while you’re underground it’s very important to stay aware of the next direction change.  Fortunately, given my track record, I made it through without error and was on time for lunch in Liechtenstein.  Just before arriving I saw a massive air ship gliding over the Alps, then I went into another tunnel and it was gone when I came out otherwise it would have made a great photo.
Liechtenstein is a lovely principality and I headed for its capital; Vaduz.  Before looking for a lunch spot I headed up the hill side to Vaduz Castle which is perched high above the city with wonderful views into Switzerland.  I snapped off a few quick photos and headed back into town for lunch.  

Vaduz Castle.
Parking on the high street I saw an Asian man getting off a heavily loaded Honda Cub 90 (very small capacity scooter).  I don’t normally talk to Mods (scooterists) but this one had something about him so I said “Hello.”
It turns out that Jae Yeong Lee had ridden from South Korea and was heading to Portugal where he was shipping the Cub back to S. Korea while he flew.  His route was from S. Korea to Russia where he rode through Sibria and eventually into Europe.  The time for this trip?  80 days.  He has to get back in time for the next term at university where he’s a student.
Having head this I offered to buy him lunch and we sat and chatted about his ride and my little effort at adventure.  What a guy.

Jae Yeong Lee and his Cub 90.
After spending too long having lunch and taking photos I got back on the bike and took a direct route towards tomorrows distention in the Loire Valley.  I’m writing this entry from my tent nest to a lovely stretch of river in Ranchot, just south east of Dijon.

No comments:

Post a Comment