Sunday 18 September 2016

Transfagarasan and some other stuff.

I woke up, which was a good start to the day, and looked out of the window at a truly beautiful view.  After yesterday’s disappointment this morning looked like it might hold some promise.  After another continental breakfast (they just don’t know what they are missing out on over here, I mean you simply cannot beat bacon and eggs British style.)  I packed up and headed out to face the Transfagarasan Pass at long last. 

The morning view from my room.
It started beautifully; winding along the edge of the lake and gradually starting to climb as the sun dried the road and the burned of the last of the morning mist.  The disappearance of the mist revealed simply amazing views looking along the pass and up into the sky where the road was heading. 
Due to it being a Sunday most people must have either been in Church or having a lie-in because the road was empty, a far cry from yesterday.   I soon found my rhythm I settled into the flow of the road and was in my element with the sound track of a Hinckley Triple being thrashed in my ears and the smell of a hot engine in my nostrils.  With photo opportunities coming thick and fast I stopped and snapped a shot of, what I thought, what must be the best stretch of road I’m going to ride today.  

Not bad.  The South side of the pass.
It was a very good bit of road, however, nothing could have prepared me for the finest tarmac known to man.
As I came over the top of the pass the route off the hill opened up in front of me.  Not only was the view extraordinary but so was the road.  I took some more photos and set up the video camera and rode on.  I can’t really describe the road but suffice it to say that if I have to take a motorway all the way home I would not mind after riding Transfagarasan.  And, it was not even midday.

The Transfagarasan.  North side.
After coming off the Transfagarasan I headed into the old Saxon country and was treated to lovely villages and countryside that was not dissimilar to the UK.  I wanted to spend a bit more time looking around but I noticed huge nests and thought that whatever lives in them might mistake the bike and me for pray so I moved on.  

Nest on the top of the building.
That’s when I discovered some great off-road riding.  The tracks wound their way through woods and over farm land passed herds of grazing cattle.  It was all so lovely that I stopped for lunch and a nap.

Lunch time.  The bike's on stag.
With the delay on the Pass I wanted to push on towards Hungary so I got onto the dull roads and headed NW until I was tired then found a camp site and set up where I was helped set up by a kitten who tried to steal my supper.

Thief. 

Looking back on the passed days riding I cannot believe how much Romania has to offer.  If you forget about the trucks in the south and stay in the north then you can stay in a 4 star hotel for the price of a Travel Lodge, fill your tank for pennies, ride one of the best roads in the world before lunch and go off-road in the afternoon.  All without the slightest bit of fuss and hardly any tourists.  Romania is well worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment