Saturday 17 September 2016

An angry terrier and the Troyan pass.

Having made it into Bulgaria and made up some time I could afford to have a bit of fun today but first I wanted to get past Sofia.  I got on the road, opened the throttle and headed north. 
I was soon stopped by a road block manned by a local who seemed happy to have the opportunity to turn someone away.  With no common language I consulted the map and found the detour was not inconsiderable.  As I was trying to think my way around the problem a woman got out of a car that had been watching my altercation.  She was in her mid-twenties with an amazing figure that was made obvious by the low-cut, short, black, figure hugging dress.  Clearly her charms had an effect and the barrier parted.  Not wanting to miss the opening I started the bike and shot through after her.  
As I passed Sofia I got stuck in a bit of traffic and amused myself by watching a terrier in the car in front lean over the rear seats and eat the heads of a lovely bunch of flowers.  After cooking in the traffic for a while I was passed by a scooter who was filtering like a mad man.  Now knowing that this seems to be okay in Bulgaria I followed suit and was soon leaving Sofia behind me.
With my tank as empty as my stomach I pulled into a petrol station and filled up.  Petrol for the bike and a snickers, coffee and water for me.  As the petrol station had wifi I took advantage to call Harriet and sent a message to Gavin in Romania and found one waiting for me.  Gavin had recommended a camp site for bikers in northern Bulgaria.  It sounded ideal and with nothing pressing I headed towards it.
I wanted to push on a bit so I used the motorway and made up some time which allowed me to take to the back roads for the final hour or two.  It was a call to remember!  As I started to head up into the hills the road got better and better until the sound of the Triumphs sump guard taking chunks out of its self became familiar and I had to back off a bit.  The road went on going from good to great and climbing into a cooler atmosphere which made a welcome change.  As I was heading up I spotted a huge concrete monument in the top of the hill.  When I finally arrived I couldn’t make out the route to the monument so I decided to go straight up the side of the hill.  Once again the Triumph belied its size and road bias and climbed the hill with ease.  The view was amazing and the monument vast.  It turned out to be in memory of those who died for the liberation of Bulgaria and the pass is called the Troyan Pass.  I highly recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.  
View from the top of the Troyan Pass.
Arch of Freedom.
After eating a simple lunch and taking a few photos I headed off the hill (on the track this time) and started falling down the northen side of the Pass.  The route down was every bit as good as the route up.  Made slightly better by the view and knowing that the camp site was spitting distance away. 
I found “Moto-Kamp” marked by an old bike painted with the Union Flag, and a sign on the gate reading WELCOME.  I felt like home(ish).  When I pulled in through the now open gates I found a number of bikes inside; 1 from Russia, 2 from England, 1 from Germany, a number from Bulgaria and word that a Croatian rider was coming a bit later that evening.
As soon as my feet hit the ground and my helmet was off I found myself holding a large cold beer and joined the other guests at a table where the language barrier was being eroded by beer.  Not wanting to let the British side down I joined in and found an interesting bunch from a neuro scientist to an elderly German women with a wicked sense of humour and a seat that gave her a direct view of men coming out of the showers.
You always meet interesting people at places like this and tonight was to be no exception.  The 2 English bikes, AJPs, where piloted by Mickey and Katie on their way to New Zealand.  Annoyingly for them there had been an issue with paperwork and they needed to return to the UK to sort it out, and one of the AJPs had developed a problem.  You can find out about their ride here: www.trailstotheforgotten.co.uk

Needless to say we all had a good night and one or two beers where drunk.

German couple with their 27 yearly Outfit.
They used it to tour with 2 children....
One of the AJPs on route to NZ.
Breakfast in Moto-Kamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment