Saturday 24 September 2016

In the shadow of the Alps.

What a day.  After getting up late, feeling very well rested, I found breakfast laid out with a note from Uli letting me know where everything was.  When I had finish and tidied up I went to check on the bike and do some maintenance; just little things like lubing and adjusting the chain and taking all the unnecessary kit off ready for my ride and while the chain lube was sinking in I caught up on my blog.  Which took a while and Uli came back from work just as I was finally ready to ride Theo’s route.       
To describe Bavaria as beautiful is the same as saying that the sun is a little bit hot in the middle.  Although accurate it simply doesn’t do it justice. 

Like a log pile, only bigger.... Much bigger.

Always in the shadow of the Alps.
I’m sitting in the Frey’s kitchen with a local beer relaxing after a ride that I can only describe as the most stunning I have ever ridden.  Where Greece was lovely and Romania was awesome they both missed something that Bavaria found.  I can’t put my finger on exactly what that might be but whatever it is Bavaria and the Austrian Alps have an awful lot of it.  Only a combination of the A40 through Brecon, A487 up the Welsh coast and any of the mid-Wales (and some of north Wales’s) roads could compare, but they’re in a league of their own.  And I’m biased.
For the first time on this trip I had to ride with the camera around my neck because I was stopping so often to take pictures of one amazing view after another.  The ride went on like this for about four hours with the added joy of not needing to think
Should be on a biscuit tin.
This is a very good place to be a cow.
about where I’m sleeping tonight.  All in all, it was very relaxing.
After supper Uli, Theo and I took Meo for a walk always with the Alps in the distance looking unreal in the setting sun.

Today has been truly memorable and has started an affair with Bavaria that I want to share with Harriet and the children.  I’ve also found out that there is a vintage car rally here, a good leg stretch for a certain Model-A-Ford…  

No comments:

Post a Comment